Monday, 11 July 2016

The Lost City of Z


I

“Could it be, I pondered, that besides the Incas there were other ancient civilizations in this continent – that the Incas themselves sprang from a greater, more widely spread race whose traces, at present unrecognised, might yet be found here and there…Was it possible that in the unknown heart of South America there still lived descendants of the old races? Why not?”

II

“I had by this time heard in several places vague traditions about remains of the ancient civilizations, and my imagination was stirred by them to such an extent that the urge to investigate was becoming more and more insistent.”

III

“The existence of the old cities I do not for a moment doubt. How could I ? I myself have seen a portion of one of them – and that is why I observed that it was imperative for me to go again. The remains seemed to be those of an outpost of one of the bigger cities, which I am convinced is to be found…”

IV

“Whether we get through, and emerge again, or leave our bones to rot in there, one thing’s certain. The answer to the enigma of Ancient South America – and perhaps of the prehistoric world – may be found when those old cities are located and opened up to scientific research. That the cities exist, I know….”

Colonel Percy Fawcett, Exploration Fawcett, edited by Brian Fawcett(1953)

Colonel Percy Harrison Fawcett DSO FRGS went missing in 1925 deep in unexplored Brazil, in search of the lost city he called “Z”, accompanied by his eldest son Jack, and Jack’s friend from school-days, Raleigh Rimell. The mystery of their disappearance has never been satisfactorily solved, despite a number of claimed explanations, apparent clues and false trails.

The Colonel Fawcett commemorative stamp was produced to honour the memory of the explorer and his persistent quest after an elusive vision.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely looking stamp. You're a talented fella.

    Is the book actually 'Exploration Fawcett'? That's the only similar title I can find on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mick. Yes, it is. I'll amend this. Mark

    ReplyDelete